What Makes a Face Look Beautiful? Top Features of an Attractive Face
Authored by Dr. Karan Chopra
When we gaze at someone with a lovely face, our brain is stimulated and excited. But what are key features of an attractive face? What really makes a beautiful face? Let’s explore. When combined together, several aesthetic traits can create a beautiful face. People frequently notice individuals with big, attentive eyes; a small, proportionate nose; perky cheekbones; a well-defined jawline; or full lips and find them attractive.
It’s not uncommon for people to be unhappy with the way their features look and seek cosmetic techniques to look younger, more attractive, and healthier. You can get the face you want with the help of cosmetic plastic surgery solutions, injectables, and makeup. Just look at the spectacular before-and-after results depicted by Hollywood celebrities. Minnesota plastic surgeon Karan Chopra, MD has ample experience helping patients achieve the beautiful face they desire. He offers his patients the full spectrum of facial plastic surgery and non-surgical cosmetic treatments that can give them the pretty face they’ve always wanted.
A Beautiful Face is All About Symmetry and Proportion
A beautiful face often features wide eyes, broad cheeks, and a refined nose. However, facial beauty is more than the combination of these factors. Your entire set of facial features should work together, taking into account how well-shaped your cheekbones, jaw, nose, lips, and eyes appear in relation to one another. It’s all about symmetry and proportion.
This facial attractiveness ratio is sometimes referred to as the “golden ratio” by plastic surgeons. The term “golden ratio” is an attractive symmetrical look. This ideal facial proportion can be modified by a skilled facial plastic surgeon to suit the demands of certain patients. Dr. Chopra can reshape and change various facial features to offer you the most aesthetically pleasing face possible. As a result, you can get a natural-looking, beautiful face with features that are harmonious and proportionate.
Top 7 Facial Features That Make Up a Beautiful Face
When you first look at someone’s face, you might find it very attractive without knowing what exactly about their appearance that’s so appealing. There’s simply something about their face that looks beautiful and entrancing. At a closer look, you’ll notice there are specific features that make the face look beautiful.
1. A Wrinkle-Free Forehead
One of the elements that gives the face a nice appearance is a forehead free of wrinkles. Your face appears serene and peaceful when your forehead is smooth, which most people find alluring. You might store a lot of your tension and concern in your forehead, which manifests as wrinkles in the area. Even if you’re not stressed out or leading an unhealthy lifestyle, a wrinkled forehead gives the impression that you do. Your face may appear worn out, irate, or less attractive as a result.
Additionally, your forehead displays a lot of your facial expressions, such as surprise, concern, and shock. When you feel an emotion and express it on your face, forehead wrinkles deepen even more. This might make your expressions appear forced and artificial. Dr. Chopra provides patients with both surgical and non-surgical options to achieve a smoother, younger-looking forehead, including:
- Facial Fillers and Injectables: These treatments may include injectable volumizing agents that smooth out wrinkles or areas of fat loss. Fillers can also be used to give the appearance of perky cheekbones. The injectables most frequently used to treat forehead wrinkles are BOTOX® Cosmetic and Jeuveau™. They eliminate the small creases between your brows and soften the worry lines on your forehead. However, the effects of BOTOX® Cosmetic are only transient.
- Upper Facelift (Brow Lift): This cosmetic procedure is performed to delay the onset of forehead wrinkles. A forehead lift flattens the forehead’s wrinkly skin, tightens the forehead, and eliminates forehead skin folds.
2. Alert and Symmetrical Eyes
People may focus on your eyes when they first see your face. An attractive face often features eyes that appear symmetrical and alert. Additionally, maintaining eye contact is crucial to keeping someone’s attention when speaking or presenting. Your entire face appears more charismatic when you have attentive, wide-open eyes because they make you look more engaged and vivacious. Your eyebrows and eyelids begin to droop as you get older, which may make your face appear less attractive because:
- Droopy eyelids and puffy eyes can make you look weary and sleepy, causing your eyes to appear uneven. Your face might look more worn out and less attractive.
- Saggy eyelids can also impair your vision, causing you to squint in order to see better. Your eyes often look smaller and the creases surrounding your eye contours worsen as a result.
Due to these reasons, blepharoplasty — or surgery on the eyelids — is very common. A blepharoplasty can give you wider, larger, and brighter eyes by removing extra skin, muscle, and fat in the area surrounding your eyes. Your face might look more youthful, relaxed, and vibrant. The lower eyelids can also give the appearance of fatigue or dark circles. Dr. Chopra performs a scarless lower eyelid blepharoplasty to reduce the puffiness in the lower eyelids and provide a more restful and refreshed appearance.
3. Perky, Full Cheeks
A vital aspect of a beautiful face is perky cheeks, as they give the face a vibrant and spirited appearance. Other people’s perception of your face greatly depends on your cheeks. Those who have large, rounded cheeks often appear nicer, happier, and more attractive.
Your facial skin becomes less elastic as you age, which can cause it to sag and wrinkle. Your cheeks are one region where facial aging can be particularly noticeable. Your face can look older and more weary than it actually is if the cheeks appear saggy and droopy. Fortunately, there are a number of solutions to revive your appearance and make the cheeks perkier once more:
Lifting the cheeks into a perkier position is known as a midface lift. Other options to rejuvenate the area include:
- Cheek Implants: To give the cheeks greater volume, implants are inserted inside of the cheeks.
- Facial Fat Grafting: Cheek fat is injected after being removed from other parts of the body.
- Facial Fillers: Fillers can be injected to shape and swell up the cheeks for patients who wish to avoid surgery.
Dermal fillers don’t last forever, so you’ll probably need to undergo additional shots every few months. On the other hand, if your cheeks are too chubby, your face may look fat. By removing some of the cheek fat during buccal fat pad removal surgery, your face will look thinner and more attractive.
4. Contoured Jawline
Your entire face is defined and shaped by your jaw. One of the most desirable characteristics of facial beauty is a well-defined jawline, which gives your face a strong and prominent appearance. The elegant angle formed between the neck and chin can be lost due to sagging jaw skin and jowls, making the face appear weak and aged.
The jaw shouldn’t be excessively large or small. A face that has a wide jaw may appear overly large or rounded, while a narrow jaw might give the appearance of a face that is overly tiny or thin.
- Lower facelift surgery: Highlights the jawline and enhances its contour, allowing Dr. Chopra to recontour the jawbones and give the face a stronger outline
- Neck lift surgery: Defines and tones the neck contour. This can make the neck and face look youthful again.
- Orthognathic surgery, also known as jaw reshaping surgery: Involves shaving the jawbone to define the jawline or reduce the size of the jaw
The jawbones are outlined, contoured, and tightened during a lower facelift and neck lift, which gives them a firmer appearance.
5. Strong and Proportionate Chin
The chin adds some finishing touches to the shape of your lovely face. Your face can look beautiful if you have a polished chin. For this reason, it is regarded as a crucial component of a beautiful and harmonious face.
A weak, receding chin that projects backward towards the neck disrupts the natural contour and destroys the artistic harmony of the face. The face appears overly long and narrow from the bottom up if the chin is too pointed. Additionally, a too-round chin makes your face appear excessively small and wide from the bottom up.
Cleft chins may or may not be a sign of a beautiful face, depending on your criteria of beauty. In either case, a chin dimple that is overly deep in the midline may give the appearance that the chin is split in half. Your facial proportions may be thrown off by this, particularly in the lower third.
Dr. Chopra developed many chin augmentation techniques over the years to alter the chin while preserving an entirely natural appearance. A chin operation, often referred to as genioplasty or mentoplasty, is performed to:
- Increase the size of the chin using chin implants
- Reshape the chin to make it more proportionate to the rest of the face
To add, take away, or minimize a chin dimple, D. Chopra also performs cleft chin surgery.
6. Voluptuous, Fuller Lips
Particularly while you’re talking, your face draws a lot of attention to the lips. Your appearance can look youthful, healthy, and full of life if you have large, plump lips. For this reason, large and voluptuous lips are regarded as one of the top facial features. With time or as a result of smoking and other behaviors, the lips begin to gradually lose some of their volume. Lips that are too thin and flat can change the balance of your face and make you appear older than you actually are.
When you smile, the upper lip may entirely disappear if it is very thin. When you laugh, your gums might be noticeable. Furthermore, lips that are overly narrow or tiny might draw attention to a protruding chin or make the nose appear larger than it is. In order to enhance your smile and restore the volume of your lips, Dr. Chopra offers a number of surgical and non-surgical procedures.
- Lip fillers are injections of volumizing agents (such as hyaluronic acid) that give the lips additional volume
- The lip flip technique is a non-surgical procedure to accentuate the upper lip. It entails administering BOTOX® Cosmetic to the mouth, causing the upper lip to flap outward and cover the upper gum
- Lip lift surgery: This operation shortens the space between the top of the lip and the nose. The lip seems bigger and more prominent as a result
7. Firm, Smooth Neckline
Dr. Chopra performs a deep neck lift, which addresses the deeper structures in the neck to provide tightening and lightening of the tissues in the area. In younger patients, this can be performed through just a small incision under the chin because they usually do not require a facelift at the same time. In older patients who also require a facelift, this can be coupled with the procedure to provide a full facial rejuvenation.
Further Reading About Facial Surgery to Create a Beautiful Face with Dr. Chopra and TCPS
Medical References About Facial Plastic Surgery